Saturday 24 October 2009

My Top 10 songs because Idk what else to write

Well this is my first time doing this "blog" thing. I mean, I've never written one or for that fact, I have never even read someone else's blog. I just made this one because I felt like blabbing about random shit.

Well, i have no idea what to write. Tell me what to write for my next post or whatever its called. But for this one I guess I'll have to tell you about me. Well, I'm That Guy. No, not the guy you have in mind but That Guy. Well someone once told me you can tell a lot about a person by finding out what he/she listens to. So that would save me a lot of thinking up bullshit time and I can tell you about what music I like. And before I start I would just want to add, this decade has been mostly shit for music. Rap has been ruined, Rock is incomprehensible now and I've never been a R'n'B and Jazz sort of guy. Ok I can't think of any more genres so I'll start with my countdown now. :)

10) Wonderwall- Oasis
Its safe to say Oasis is far more popular than their arch-nemesis Blur and even though they've released a thousand identical sounding albums since 1995, Wonderwall is definitely their best song.

9) Riders On The Storm - The Doors
Yes, yes we all know about Break On Through, Light My Fire and The End being The Doors best. But this song was the song that got me into the Doors and that's why its 9th on my list. Its supposedly about a hitch-hiker/ serial killer who kills a family, well at least part of it. Incorporating real sound effects of rain and thunder and Ray Manzarek's piano, this is truly one of their great songs and Snoop Dogg didn't do a bad job of remixing it later!

8) When I Come Around- Green Day
The song that propelled Green Day to international stardom. Forget American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and the crap that's on their new album( 21st century breakdown is gutter shit.) this is what made them. Most Green Day "fans" haven't heard this song since its from before American Idiot but in my opinion Dookie was a far better album then American Idiot. That's why this is 8th on my list.

7) Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I had only heard the stuff on Stadium Arcadium before I heard this. My cousin saw me listening to Dani California and said listen to Under The Bridge. I actually related to the lyrics at that moment in time (not the drugs, just the lonely part) and after that this song "dropkicked its way" into my top 10.

6) Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
The UKs 3rd best-selling single of all time makes it 6th in this list. This is Freddie Mercury at his best. The interesting thing is that the song doesn't have a chorus, instead comprises of 3 main parts. An a cappella part, an opera segment and hard rock bit. In America it got mixed reactions (just goes to show how stupid those jackasses are. No offence to any Americans that might read this but after the Bush era, thats pretty much what the world thinks of you.) but is now considered one of the greatest song ever.

5) Iris- Goo Goo Dolls
Bet you weren't expecting this here huh? No, I haven't seen City Of Angels and this is the only Goo Goo Dolls song I like but its just that good. The acoustic guitar on this song is absolutely brilliant and the fact that its called Iris because John Rzeznik thought it sounded nice helps it to be my 5th favorite song of all time.

4) Where The Streets Have No Name- U2
The Joshua Tree is in my opinion the greatest album of all time. Where The Streets Have No Name , like Riders on the Storm with the Doors, is the song that got me into U2. From there, U2 is now my favourite band. The difficulty in playing this song was so difficult, that producer Brian Eno actually tried erasing it from the tapes. Thank god he didn't!

3) Hallowed Be Thy Name- Iron Maiden
For a long time my favourite song, its now 3rd. Showing off Bruce Dickinson's awesome vocal talents and two sick guitar solos it is easily Maiden's best(again imo). About a man realizing his fear of death as he walks to the gallows and his reluctance to admit this to himself. Pure awesomeness.

2) Highway To Hell- AC/DC
Truer words never spoken. Life IS a Highway to Hell. How many of you can confidently say "I am going to Heaven". Though thats not really what the song is about. Its actually about how their life on tour is like a Highway to Hell. But it still makes sense. See you guys in Hell.

1) Song 2 - Blur
Most people would say its not possible to like both Oasis and Blur. Yet they start and finish my countdown. Song 2 was a really fun song and I first heard it on the FIFA 98 soundtrack. Awesome riffs and a fucked up (in the good sense) chorus makes this their best song and my favourite song of all time.

Well I don't know if you can comment or whatever but give me ideas for my next post. So I'll be back. Maybe not next week, or next month, or next year but I'll be back. Not in the Arnold Schwarzenegger way but in That Guy way.

Till then, fare thee well
That Guy

1 comment:

  1. god thatguy ur so deperate for comments :)
    nevertheless, impressive use of language and hallowed is undoubtedly one of gods better works unlike humans :) maiden are gods

    ReplyDelete